Monday, May 11, 2009

Luis Manzano & John Lloyd Cruz as lovers in Star Cinema’s In My Life

Luis Manzano & John Lloyd Cruz as lovers in Star Cinema’s In My Life. The “intimate scene” between Luis Manzano and John Lloyd Cruz as lovers in Star Cinema’s In My Life was finally shot last week on the Brooklyn Bridge, with the breathtaking Manhattan skyline as backdrop.


“Feel na feel nila ‘yung eksena,” reported Funfare’s Big Apple correspondent Edmund Silvestre (of The Filipino Reporter), “very realistic, which simply means that Luis and John Lloyd are good actors because, as everybody knows, pareho silang straight.”

The movie, directed by Olive Lamasan and also starring Vilma Santos (Luis’ mom playing his mom), is Luis’ most challenging. But whether or not he will finally join the ranks of John Lloyd, Piolo Pascual, Jericho Rosales, Sam Milby, Richard Gutierrez and Dingdong Dantes as big-screen leading men will be known when the film hits the theaters in September.

In an interview with Edmund, a spirited Luis — looking more handsome with his tanned complexion courtesy of Boracay — admitted that the pressure is building up as the shooting is nearing its completion.

“I admit the pressure to deliver a good performance is there,” he said. “After all, it’s with two award-winning actors, my mom, and John Lloyd who is unbelievably a great young actor. I really give my best in every scene, but if there’s a scene na hindi nagustuhan ni direk (Olive), iko-correct naman niya. We find ways kung saan nagkukulang at inaayos talaga ni direk. But in the end, it’s for other people to say how I fare.”

Asked if he got intimidated by his mom and John Lloyd, particularly during heavy dramatic scenes, Luis said, “Not intimidated; it’s more of ‘Wow, this is it, finally we’re starting!’ As I’ve said before, doing this project is like a double-edged sword for me because I get to work with my mom who is considered by some as the greatest actress of all-time in Philippine cinema, and of course with John Lloyd who is a box-office king and who has several acting citations. More of excited siguro but not naman intimidated.”

A much-sought-after host in local television today (A.S.A.P. ’09, Entertainment Live, Pinoy Big Brother), Luis has also proven his comedic talent in Ang Cute ng Ina Mo (with Ai-Ai de las Alas and Anne Curtis), and some acting breaks in TV features and series like Dyosa, Rounin, Crazy For You, Flash Bomba, Your Song and Maalaala Mo Kaya.

And with In My Life, Luis is on the brink of being recognized as a certified dramatic actor and may even bag his first acting trophy, according to a Star Cinema bigwig, with this gay-themed movie that is also about a mother’s great love, predicted to collect honors in next year’s award derby.

“I really hope so,” the 27-year-old actor remarked. “But we don’t want to think about it. We’re just here to do, hopefully, a great job for Filipino moviegoers, especially the Vilmanians who have waited for so long to see my mom again on the silver screen. We want to give them a real quality picture na kahit sila ipagmamalaki nila.”

Edmund also asked Luis if he is dead serious about his relationship with Angel Locsin. Yes, Luis said that he doesn’t want to rush her to the altar with her career in full-swing.

“Definitely it’s a serious relationship, alangan namang naglalaro lang kami sa edad naming ito,” he stressed. ”We are very, very happy with our relationship, pero ang dami pa naming kailangang gawin individually and as a couple so marriage is still out of the question. I still have so much to do. If I believe personally na ang dami ko pang kailangang gawin, mas marami pang kailangang gawin si Angel. She has a brighter future than me in showbiz and I won’t do anything to derail it.”

Luis added that he always gives Angel his 100 percent support. No wonder when asked how he sees the brewing comparison between Marian Rivera, the new Darna, and Angel, who was the last to play the Mars Ravelo superheroine, Luis has this to say:

“I can’t speak on anyone’s behalf, but you know ibang klase ang na-establish ni Angel bilang Darna. If I’m not mistaken, she posted the highest primetime rating like 52 percent. Those will be very big shoes to fill. But in terms of her being insecure (about the comparison) I doubt it. I’m not downplaying Marian, I know she’ll be a good Darna. I’m just talking about the 52 percent rating. And I’m sure when Angel was offered to play Darna, she was also compared with my mom who also played Darna. Angel had some big shoes to fill at the time. So we’ll just have to wait and see how Marian will fare as Darna.”

Like his mom, Luis says he has so much to be thankful for “a smooth sailing life.”

“But smooth sailing does not necessarily mean there are no waves,” he added

He credits his mom and dad Edu Manzano for giving him a solid foundation built on love and respect.

“Even the separation of my parents was never an issue,” he proudly said. “I am very fortunate that I didn’t experience any problem when they decided to part ways. The reason why I could still smile, laugh and crack jokes even when they separated was because never silang nagkulang sa akin and they both found love respectively.”

0 comments: